Scientific name: Sandoricum koetjape
Bahasa Indonesia: Buah Kecapi
Sandoricum koetjape, also known as santol, sentul, cotton fruit, or wild mangosteen, is a tropical fruit tree native to maritime Southeast Asia (Malesia). It is a large, evergreen tree, up to 50 m tall, with high buttressed roots. The bark is smooth, grayish brown, and often flaking or fissured. The leaves are alternate, simple, ovate to elliptic, 10-20 cm long and 5-10 cm wide, with a pointed apex and a rounded or cordate base. The flowers are small, pinkish yellow, yellowish green, or white-yellow, fragrant, about 1 by 1.3 cm, possessing five free petals. They are arranged in axillary branched inflorescences known as panicles (15 to 30 cm in length).
The fruit is a drupe, 5-10 cm in diameter, with a smooth, yellow or orange rind. The flesh is white, juicy, and sweet, with a slightly acidic taste. The seed is large, brown, and hard.
Santol is a popular fruit in Southeast Asia. It is eaten fresh, or used to make juice, jam, and jelly. The wood of the santol tree is used in construction and furniture making. The roots are used medicinally.
The health benefits of Sandoricum koetjape are attributed to its nutrient content, which includes vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Vitamins: Santol is a good source of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that helps protect the body against damage from free radicals. It also contains vitamin A, which is important for vision, skin health, and the immune system.
- Minerals: Santol is a good source of potassium, which is important for heart health. It also contains calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, which are important for bone health.
- Antioxidants: Santol contains various antioxidants, including quercetin, kaempferol, and anthocyanins. These antioxidants can help protect the body against damage from free radicals, which can lead to chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
In addition to its nutrient content, santol has also been shown to have a number of other health benefits, including:
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Santol has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. This is due to the presence of triterpenoids, which are compounds that have been shown to reduce inflammation.
- Digestive health: Santol is a good source of fiber, which can help improve digestive health. Fiber helps to keep the digestive system running smoothly and can help prevent constipation.
- Diarrhea relief: The leaves of santol can be used to treat diarrhea. They contain tannins, which have anti-diarrheal properties.
- Skin health: The fruit of santol can be used to improve skin health. It contains vitamin C, which is important for collagen production. Collagen is a protein that gives skin its strength and elasticity.
- Cancer prevention: Santol has been shown to have cancer preventive properties. This is due to the presence of antioxidants, which can help protect cells from damage.
Overall, santol is a nutritious fruit that has a number of potential health benefits. It is a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and it has been shown to have anti-inflammatory, digestive, and skin health benefits. However, more research is needed to confirm these benefits.
If you are considering using santol for its health benefits, it is important to talk to your doctor first. Santol may interact with certain medications, and it is not safe for everyone to consume.