Scientific Name: Solanum lycopersicum
Bahasa Indonesia: Tomat
Basic Information: The tomato is a herbaceous annual in the family Solanaceae. The plant can be erect with short stems or vine-like with long, spreading stems that can grow up to 2 meters tall. The stems are covered in coarse hairs and the leaves are arranged spirally. The tomato plant produces yellow flowers, which can develop into a cyme of 3-12, and usually a round fruit, which is fleshy, smooth skinned and can be red, pink, purple, brown, orange or yellow in color. Tomatoes can be consumed in many ways, raw or cooked. While they are botanically considered a berry, they are commonly used as a vegetable ingredient or side dish. The tomato originated in South America.
- Prevents Cancer – lycopene found in tomatoes defends against some cancers, such as prostate cancer, breast cancer, and renal cell cancer.
- Rich Source of Vitamins and Minerals – a single tomato can provide about 40% of the daily vitamin C requirement. In addition, it contains vitamin A, potassium, and iron.
- Protects the Heart – the lycopene in tomatoes has a protective effect against cardiovascular diseases.
- Counter the Effect if Cigarette Smoking – the acids found in tomatoes fight against the carcinogens found in cigarettes.
- Improves Vision – high levels of vitamin A aids in improving vision, prevents night-blindness, and prevents macular degeneration.
- Aids in Digestion – tomatoes can prevent constipation, diarrhea, and jaundice and have high levels of fiber that help stimulate the peristaltic motion in the smooth digestive muscles and release gastric and digestive juices.
- Lowers Hypertension – the levels of potassium in tomatoes help reduce the tension in blood vessels and arteries, which increases circulation and lowers stress on the heart by lowering the blood pressure.
- Manages Diabetes – tomatoes are said to reduce the oxidative stress of type 2 diabetes.
- Skin Care – tomatoes can maintain healthy teeth, bones, hair and skin.
- Prevents Gallstones – vitamin C in tomatoes can help provide relief from gallstones.
- Tomatoes have been one of the ingredients in an antiperspirant composition for the treatment of hy[erhidrosis, another name for excessive sweating
- Tomatoes are the world’s most popular fruit, with an annual production of 60 million tons
- There is an annual festival in Spain called La Tomatina where 150,000 tomatoes are thrown at people throughout the city
- A good history of the Tomatoes also you can find on the website of Gerard Paul. You will find a lot of things you never thought about the Tomato. He really researched deep: https://manyeats.com/history-of-the-tomato/