Scientific Name: Allium cepa
Bahasa Indonesia: Bawang
The onion, also known as the bulb onion or common onion, is a vegetable that is the most widely cultivated species of the genus Allium. Its close relatives include the garlic, shallot, leek, chive, and Chinese onion. The onion plant has a fan of hollow, bluish-green leaves and its bulb at the base of the plant begins to swell when a certain day-length is reached. The bulbs are composed of shortened, compressed, underground stems surrounded by fleshy modified scale (leaves) that envelop a central bud at the tip of the stem. In the autumn (or in spring, in the case of overwintering onions), the foliage dies down and the outer layers of the bulb become dry and brittle.
- Oral Care – Onions are often used to prevent tooth decay and oral infections. Chewing raw onions for 2 to 3 minutes can potentially kill all the germs present in the oral area and surrounding areas like the throat and lips.
- Boost Immunity – The phytochemicals present in significant amounts in onions act as stimulants for vitamin C within the body.
- Reducing the risk of Heart Ailments – Onions act as anticoagulants, also known as blood thinners, which prevent the red blood cells from forming clumps.
- Manage Diabetes – Onions contain chromium, which is a relatively unusual mineral to be found naturally in food. Chromium helps the body manage blood sugar levels and ensures a slow, gradual release of glucose to the muscles and body cells.
- Used as an Insect Repellent – You can apply onion juice to reduce the pain caused by honeybee stings. Fresh onion juice or paste can be used for external applications on insect bites and scorpion stings.
- Prevent Cancer – Onions are rich in active compounds that successfully inhibit the development and spread of cancerous cells. They have a significant amount of quercetin, which is a very powerful antioxidant, consistently linked to the prevention or reduction of the spread of cancer.
- Relieve Earaches – A few drops of onion juice may prove immensely beneficial to individuals suffering from an acute earache.
- Skin Care – Onion juice mixed with honey or olive oil is said to be the best method for treating symptoms or signs of acne.
- Treat Cough – Consuming an equal mixture of onion juice and honey can relieve sore throats and coughing symptoms.
- Boost Sexual Drive – Onions are said to increase the urge for healthy sex life. One tablespoon of onion juice along with one spoonful of ginger juice, taken three times a day, can boost libido and sex drive.
- Treat Anemia – Even anemic conditions can be improved by eating onions along with jaggery and water because this adds to the mineral content of the body, especially iron, which is an essential part of producing new red blood cells.
- Relieve Stomach Aches – Onions have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can relieve an upset stomach and related gastric syndromes.
- Treat Urinary Disorders – For those suffering from a burning sensation during urination, onions can provide considerable relief.
- Onions have been around for quite some time. The oldest known cultivation of onion dates back to around 5,000 BCE.
- In ancient Egypt, onions were worshiped. It was believed by ancient Egyptians that concentric rings and spherical shape of the onions were symbols of eternity.
- People of ancient Egypt used to cover the tombs of their rulers with onion pictures and onions played a vital role in burial rituals. They believed that they will help the dead succeed in afterlife.