Scientific Name: Zingiber officinale
Bahasa Indonesian: Jahe
Basic Information: Ginger is a flowering plant whose rhizome, ginger root or ginger, is widely used as a spice and a folk medicine. It is a herbaceous perennial which grows annual pseudostems (false stems made of the rolled bases of leaves) about a meter tall bearing narrow leaf blades. The inflorescences bear pale yellow with purple flowers and arise directly from the rhizome on separate shoots. Along with its delicious flavor, ginger is one of the healthiest spices in the world. Originally from Asia, ginger has been used for its medicinal purposes for nearly 2,000 years by various cultures.
- Fights Cancer – According to researchers, ginger’s anti-cancer properties are a result of the compound 6-gingerol, which is found in large amounts in raw ginger. 6-gingerol has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor activities.
- Can Treat Many Forms of Nausea – Ginger can help prevent various types of nausea. This applies to sea sickness, chemotherapy-related nausea, nausea after surgery and morning sickness.
- Aids in Digestion – Ginger has been discovered to be a facilitator of the digestive process. Along with that, it has a number of compounds that improve the absorption of nutrients and minerals from the food we eat.
- Removes Excess Gas – Ginger is a very strong carminative, meaning that it induces excess gas elimination. Chewing on a small piece can help force the gas out in a healthy way and also prevent additional gas from building up again.
- Increases sexual activity – Its scent has a unique allure that helps in increasing fertility and establishing a sexual connection. This root also helps increase blood circulation, hence blood flows more easily to the mid-section of the body, an important area for sexual performance.
- May Significantly Reduce Menstrual Pain – Ginger appears to be very effective against menstrual pain when taken at the beginning of the menstrual period.
- Protects Against Alzheimer’s Disease – Research shows ginger can help slow down the loss of brain cells, which typically leads to Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Prevents Obesity – Ginger can aid in accelerating weight loss and managing obesity by helping boost your metabolism.
- Relieves Muscle Pain – Ginger is well-known for reducing muscle pain and soreness caused due to exercising. The anti-inflammatory properties of this root are to be credited for this benefit.
- Chinese and Ayurvedic practitioners have relied on ginger for at least 3,000 years for its anti-inflammatory properties, and have used it as a “carrier” herb, one that enables other herbs to be more effective in the body.
- Global production of ginger is dominated by India, which currently produces one-third of the world’s supply of ginger.
- Ginger ale originated from ginger beer, a non-alcoholic beverage that was brewed by the English and American colonists as a cure for nausea and vomiting.
- Ginger is a part of the Zingiberaceae family, which also includes turmeric and cardamom.