Scientific Name: Aloe Barbadensis
Bahasa Indonesian: Lidah Buaya
Batak: Lidah Buaya
Aloe vera is a succulent plant species of the genus Aloe. An evergreen perennial, it originates from the Arabian Peninsula but grows wild in tropical climates around the world and is cultivated for agricultural and medicinal uses. The species is also used for decorative purposes and grows successfully indoors as a potted plant.
Aloe vera is a stemless or very short-stemmed succulent plant growing to 60–100 cm (24–39 in) tall, spreading by offsets. The leaves are thick and fleshy, green to grey-green, with some varieties showing white flecks on their upper and lower stem surfaces.
It is found in many consumer products including beverages, skin lotion, cosmetics, or ointments for minor burns and sunburns although there is little scientific evidence for the effectiveness or safety of Aloe vera extract as a cosmetic or medicine.
- Aloe vera contains various powerful antioxidant compounds. Some of these compounds can help inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria
- Applying Aloe vera to burn wounds appears to accelerate the healing process. The evidence is inconclusive for other wound types
- When used as a mouth rinse, pure Aloe vera juice is just as effective at reducing dental plaque buildup as regular mouthwash
- Application of Aloe vera, either as a patch or gel, has been shown to aid in the recovery of mouth ulcers (canker sores)
- Aloe vera latex has strong laxative effects, making it useful to treat constipation. It does not appear to be beneficial for other diseases of the digestive tract
- Early evidence suggests that Aloe vera may have anti-aging effects on the skin, but more research is needed
- About 8 oz of fortified aloe vera juice contains 9.1 grams of vitamin C. This vitamin is vital for a person’s overall health, as it is a natural antioxidant and helps fight inflammation
- Early evidence suggests that Aloe vera may help with blood sugar management, but more research is needed. Ingesting Aloe vera supplements in the long term could also be hazardous
- Aloe vera plants are hardy and long-lived. Wild species have been known to survive for 100 years
- Egypt’s Queen Cleopatra was said to apply aloe vera gel to her skin as part of her beauty ritual
- The aloe gel is 96% water, which enables the plant to survive in arid regions
- Aloe Vera has been used to treat skin conditions since 2100 BC – or at least that is the earliest mention of the plant
Tips for your own Aloe Vera
To support our Botanical Garden, also we started with the community to sell all our plants. We have such a lot of seeds and possibilities to make seedlings for you, that to strengthen the power of the people here to take care of our Botanical Garden it is necessary, that the people see, that they are doing something, what the other people want and honor it.
That you are successful with the plants you take from us, we want to explain you here, what the plants like and you and the plants are getting happy.
Place to stay
The Aloe Vera not really like a wet or sunny environment. The best is shadow under a roof and water just several times. The Aloe can go around with dryness. The Aloe want to stay alone. If you plant them in pots, then look, that she is alone. if she need to go to competition with another Aloe Vera, than she would not get big and strong.
The Aloe Vera, if she is a little bit healthy, all the times she like to get babies. This is perfect for you, if you take the babies each 3-5 month away from her and plant them in an different new pot. She will get big again and will get also a lot of Babies again. Plant them again and again and again…………
Just don´t give them the full sunlight and be carefully, that they are not all the time have wet feed. Staying in the rain in the shadow of a lot of trees, it is not a problem. The Aloe like it. But not in the mood. Then she is getting rotten.
How to get the harvest
The Aloe Vera is not a fast plant. You need time until you can harvest a lot. Of course, even if you burn your skin, you just take even from your young and only small Aloe Vera the leaf. But you take the oldest one. ALWAYS you are harvesting the oldest leaf. The Aloe normally survive only with two leaves.
But you want to have a healthy strong old one. For this you need to go for old plants. Then you get big amount of the nice Aloe Vera Gel, which sou can eat or mix with fruit juices. For this, it is difficult to not have enough. And you will like the plant, which is only growing and don´t need a lot of Attention. If you forget her for a week, she will not be angry. She just will be happy, if she get water again.
If you give her water, then give it to the earth and not on top of the leaves. She will get rotten, if you make this all the time. She like to take the water with the roots. She is getting crazy, if the water only go to their leaves. She cannot handle this. Tropical rain under trees is not a problem for her. If everything is wet, but not all the time.
Take care of the babies, plant them at a protected place, take the oldest leaf, take only the leaves you need and you will be happy with the plant.
How to keep a long time?
After you are harvesting several times the old leaves, the plant is getting longer and longer. Then you just cut the Aloe around 5 centimeters under the last leaf, where you can see, that the plant is going from the green to the dry part. There you cut with a knife and give her again to a new pot with now aunts.
In a few month the Aloe is giving you already more bigger and stronger leaves.
The Aloe likes sand and this mixed with saw dust or rice skin and not to much compost and fertilizer.
Also the Aloe Vera is growing nice inside of rooms. Only it cannot have temperatures below zero Celsius. Everybody just should have an Aloe Vera plant at his house. If you burn your skin, this is the best treatment you can have. But you need it very fast, than you can rescue a lot of your skin.
Our offer for you
- we can give you a small baby in a poly bag just for 5000 Rp. This will grow, if you take care and will get big and will get a lot of babies.
- or we can give you already a huge one in a nice pot which you can drop at the entrance to your house and to make you proud for 250.000 Rp.
- and we can give you all in between, just look yourself at our place in Silimalombu or look at our online shop or look for the dates, were we make a selling around Lake Toba.
- Or you come as a volunteer for some month to our place and prepare then also the plants, what you want to take for an exchange.