What we are doing now in Ecovillage Silimalombu to make it Covid-19 save for us and for other – Practice “The New Normal” is getting real.
We introduce now the following rules:
- Washing the hands with soap for 20 seconds
– for each guest, he want to enter our terrace or house
– each time, when somebody is going to prepare food or cleaning dishes
– Each time, when somebody want to eat something or smoke a cigarette
– after going to the toilet.
- Disinfecting the table where food is processed with soap
- To preparing raw food or already cooked food it only can be done with a protecting mask or scarf.
- Keep distance to everybody come from outside for 1 m
- Of course handshaking only if both directly washed the hand before or both wash the hands after shaking.
- Dish cleaning with soap: At least 20 seconds the soap has to work on the plates.
- Create sitting areas, where the distance is automatically more then 1 m. A very good trick for this is to use the edges of the tables. For this the distance is getting bigger and you safe space at your restaurant.
- All the towels laying around in Indonesia in a kitchen are a huge potential for spreading the virus also:
We just make a bowl with hot water, where the towels go directly after usage.
- We take care of each other, that we don´t go with the hand to the mouth as a reflex. This we have to learn and it is only working, if we remain us all the time.
- If somebody is working for cooking or serving food, he has to wear a mask. (The mask is not necessary before the things are getting cooked. If there are different tables for prepare and finish)
- For harvesting fruits and vegetables, which are getting eaten fresh and not cooked, before he has to wash his hand for 20 seconds with soap and has to wear a mask or the fruits are getting washed with soap.
- All the public areas, which are getting touched and used have to be disinfected at a minimum daily, often touched things like doors of toilets maybe even each hour.
- The eggs from our chicken and ducks are getting directly after taken from the land washed with sand and water and then with soap, before they enter the storage.
- Guest in our Restaurant can come, if they follow all this rules. We put them at our entrance, that everybody know this. The guests are getting served, they cannot take the food from the Buffet.
- Guest for our homestay also still can come, but for the first 14 days, they only get access to the eating table in front and not to the place behind. If somebody need a stay until the crisis is over still you are welcome to go with us through this time.
- Smoking is a double risk:
– for smoking you go with your hand to your mouth. You touch the lighter and the cigarettes, even you wash your hand before. It is a high risk!
– With smoking your make your body weak and specially the lungs, where the Covid-19 give you the disease. It is the best to stop smoking now! Especially, if you are over 50 years old. And also for the others around you give the smoke to their lungs. (But maybe Nicotine also is protecting from an Covid-19 infection. This is at the moment also discussed, because French and Chinese studies show a very low percentage of smokers by hospitalized patients…. but nicotine also can be intake with other methods.
- Out of this, smoking is not allowed in Silimalombu under a roof anymore. And go away from ANYBODY who can get the smoke from your Cigarette. This rule we will keep, even the Corona time is over!
- If somebody of us is going somewhere else, we follow also all this rules, that we don´t bring the virus to Silimalombu: We keep distance, we don shake hands, we wash our hands before smoking and we only eat outside, if the places, where we eat follow the same rules of hygienic in the kitchen.
- Washing the hands with soap for 20 seconds
And we developed a label, which everybody can print out and hang this in front of his guesthouse or also use this online, to give the people the safety of corona. Then our Guesthouses and Restaurants still can be open and don´t have to be closed like in already a lot of western countries.
What is important to know about Covid-19
For us it is clear, that at the end of the Corona pandemic between 60 and 80 % of the Indonesian also will be infected. But we need time, that this is not getting to fast. The density of respiratory equipment in Indonesia is very rare. Better we have the time, that we can wait until there is a medicine against Covid-19 available in Indonesia. This will take some month or maybe one year.
If we look at the development in Italy, we cannot go the risk of a fast spreading.
It needs action now and the other countries shows us, that it is possible to drop the risk down. China is now a safe place! (but just for now, the virus come back there. Let us make us safe now and let us make our life enjoying again. We just have to take care a little bit and change some behaviors:
This things everybody can do:
- Wear a face shield if you are close to other people, that you cannot infect somebody out of your house
- Wash your hands with soap for minimum of 20 seconds
- Keep a distance to everybody not come from your house for 1 meter
- Be careful with preparing food and cleaning dishes and think: Where the virus can have access and distinguish the possibility?
- The table is disinfected, where I prepare food?
- The plates are disinfected which I use for cooking and for serving?
- The table and the chairs of the guests are disinfected.
- Be aware: Everybody out of your house can be infected, even he don´t know himself! Keep the distance:
- At a market
- when you meet more people
- In a bus or a taxi
- at a funeral
- …….just everywhere!
And if just follow this, also you can run a restaurant or a hotel! And we think this follow full the regulations from the Indonesian Hotel and Restaurant Organisation (PHRI) from the 1st of June 2020:
Here the download:
All the time we are updating this page, just look again here and if you have a tip, to make something better send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org